Question
Posted by: cat | 2005/07/21

under pressure

I started a new work 3 days ago. It is in same field,like it was before. Position is higher, assistent manager. But the problem is I am always so stressed and thinking I cant do it. I was today on my own, after only 2 days trainning and everything was fine.I've got under me 7 girls and I asked them, what do they think, how should I improve my self. They said that I am so stressed and panic. How can I stop that. I am little worry. because all the girls are about 30 and I am 21 years old, so there is another problem I am not that confident to tell them what they need to do.Is the first time, what I am in the position assistent manager.Can someone help me please, how can I get a more cofidence at work and with girls

See a shrink to assess WHY you have been getting so stressed and panicky, and to help you learn the easy ways you can use to relax and enjoy your new position. Your employers didn't need to hire you, and are much more experienced in this field that you are --- and they recognized that you are well able to handle this job. And, when you let yourself settle in to it, you'll recognize that they were right.

2
Posted by: Lola | 2005/07/22

You are their manager for a reason, your boss obviously recognised your leadership skills. You definitly need to find your feet in this new job and fast, you can't have your team calming down their leader. You are there to inspire them to work better, you are the senior memeber of staff. You need to gain their respect. As for telling them what needs to be done, there are different ways of doing it, you don't necessarily have to bark out commands. Why not call a meeting, get to know everyone a little better, ask them to outline their positions and their duties. Any amendments you need to make could be suggested to them at that time.

Good Luck. Just relax, you were put into this position for a reason...

Reply to Lola
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/22

1. they would not have given you the job if they did not think you could handle it. you obviously presented yourself in the interview. Let that side of your personality come out at the office

2. remember by panicking it is not going to solve things - haste makes waste.

3. it is damaging to your health.

4. Delegate! I have the same problem, I am not sure how good a manager I would be of a large group as I seem to battle delegating tasks - having been let down so badly by lower ranking people I tend to prefer to do things myself so I know it will be done.

5. But I am sure if you perhaps go and receive a little bit of counselling it will help you learn how to control these situations. Ask the "girls" for help - if they see you panicking, tell them that they must tell you to calm down and take a breather as well.

Reply to Joanne E