Question
Posted by: Enough | 2007/06/17

Under active thyroid?

I gained an enormous 35kg in about 4-5 months' time last year between June and September/October. I am 26yo, 1,90cm tall and now weigh 137kg. I have always been on the chubby side but find this sudden weight-gain very worrying. I constantly feel tired, even though I get enough sleep. Might this be a sign of an under active thyroid? I am not on medical aid and learnt that blood tests for this condition are very costly. Can it do any arm to take the UNIQUE - THYROID pill that is available at Clicks and local pharmacies, without being tested and sure about this condition?

Dear Enough
I would not recommend that you take any thyroid treatments without knowing if your thyroid is underactive or not because this could cause problems such as hyperthyroidism which could make your condition worse. If you are not on a medical aid you could contact your nearest State hospital and ask if you can have hormone tests done. The thyroid tests are not so costly. However you need to be examined by an Endocrinologist (a dr who has specialised in hormone imbalances) because this sudden weight gain and the tiredness could also be due to many other conditions such as insulin resistance, polycystic ovarian syndrome or even depression. So if possible either try to see a private Endocrinologist or arrange to see one at a State hospital because there is no way to decide what you need to do without a clinical diagnosis.
Hope you get this problem sorted out soon.