Question
Posted by: Lea | 2004/09/23

Unconditional love for a Schizo

I'm torn to shreds for 6 years already. I have unconditional love for my son, 32, being schizophrenia. I stand with him in every possible way for him to try and lead some sort of a normal life (thanks to medication) but my husband does not accept that my son is schizo and ofcourse all the attention my son gets (and wants). makes it worse. Where is my loyalty? I cannot chase son out, where will he afford to stay, he is on disability.

Except for a few mi nor personality disorders, son is fine but cannot be independant for financial reasons.

Answered the other time you posted this question. The social worker I advised ( maybe even Dept of Welfare can send one ) can help to assess how independent he can be, what support he needs, and how to help him be more independent.

3
Posted by: lea | 2004/09/28

Thanks Cybershrink...I missed the last reply you gave me. Little things like your answer...give me some hope...temporary anyway. No one realizes how we travel to hell and back for all sorts of reasons.

Reply to lea
Posted by: Lea | 2004/09/28

Yes , I think if I die he will could stand on his own two feet. He has been my shadow long enough to know what I would do. He ihas proved to be an anchor for his girlfriend in ways wants to get married, have children but where does the finances come from...me! Yes, I have been overprotecting because I wanted him to get better. With his fiance of 8 mths around i distance myself as much as possible. But he doesnt let go of me and I know its because of the financial side. He sings, is wellknown in our area, but I'm the fountain he draws his strength from.
. - there just isn't enough finances for all of us. but due to the stigma and sometimes even the energy what future has he got! NOTHING - No matter how hard I try.

Reply to Lea
Posted by: Keny | 2004/09/23

What will happen when you eventually get old and die will he be able to survive with out you? I don’t think so because he has never been by him self. So I think it is better to do it now. Try to help him understand and how to learn to be by him self.

I forgot to ask does your son want the help from you or you just one of those over protective parents?

Reply to Keny