Question
Posted by: HS | 2019/11/07

Uncircumcised concern

My ex husband has been attempting me to get our son circumsized for years. Now he sent me a message stating that he had a look at our son's penis, it's heavily inflamed, the shaft is starting to bend and trying to come through the foreskin". I had a look, the head is ever so slightly red as is normal, the shaft skin is normal, the foreskin comes over the head easily, there is no discharge. I don't see anything wrong (but being a women I may not know the difference) and I don't want to spend R1000's annually and unnecessarily expose my son to probing from a uroligist. So my question is, is this even a valid concern? The shaft is starting to bend and trying to come through the foreskin? What is symptoms I need to look out for which indicates concern and requires a urologist visit?

- 2019/11/07

It does sound as if the penis is not deformed and indeed actually quite normal. Symptoms that will raise concern include swelling and redness of the foreskin and not being able to 'pull back' the foreskin. If there are signs that the penis is 'bending', then this is caused by something else. If you are concerned, you can take him to the GP, who will be able to tell if there are any reasons for concern and further investigation. Good luck.