Question
Posted by: Samantha1 | 2007/02/27

Unable to commit to weight loss

Hi.
I'm 29 and very over weight. My weight was never perfect, but I realised later on in life that
(during childhood/teen & early adulthood) I was not as overweight as I thought(and was told. I am now though. I had a great deal of stress/rejection/loss of loved one and before I knew it, I had become huge. I found a diet that works and lost 10 kg by Dec last year. I just can't seem to get back into it. I also have an exercise bicycle wich I use for 1 or 2 or 3 days, and then stop using it for months! Why do I keep finding excuses? I am not happy with my weight and I can see it standing in my way in social situations (I am happily married, but feel insecure around other women/moms) and I am worried that my 2-year-old will soon discover that her mommy has a big(no pun intended!) problem. PLEASE help.Why do I do this and how do I get myself motivated.

Dear Samantha1
I hear what you are saying and can understand that it is difficult to diet and do exercise if you are not motivated. In addition, I surmise that you may be using food as an escape. I would, therefore, recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist (look in the Yellow Pages or ask your gp to refer you) to help you resolve your problem. Let's first get your psyche sorted out and then you can tackle the weight.