Question
Posted by: Samantha1 | 2007/02/27

Unable to commit to losing weight

Hi.
I'm 29 and very over weight. My weight was never perfect, but I realised later on in life that
(during childhood/teen & early adulthood) I was not as overweight as I thought(and was told. I am now though. I had a great deal of stress/rejection/loss of loved one and before I knew it, I had become huge. I found a diet that works and lost 10 kg by Dec last year. I just can't seem to get back into it. I also have an exercise bicycle wich I use for 1 or 2 or 3 days, and then stop using it for months! Why do I keep finding excuses? I am not happy with my weight and I can see it standing in my way in social situations (I am happily married, but feel insecure around other women/moms) and I am worried that my 2-year-old will soon discover that her mommy has a big(no pun intended!) problem. PLEASE help.Why do I do this and how do I get myself motivated.

See a good local shrink for assessment and more specific advice. CBT type counselling can help you regain control of the process and regain lasting determination. And Oros_Lady is right, too, about the value of something like Weight-watchers, in enlisting group support and encouragement to enable you to continue to do what you know you need to do.

2
Posted by: Britty | 2007/02/27

I have put on a lot of weight recently and have struggled to even start eating properly. I found that Dr Phil usually has good points to make about weight control. I read somwhere that you have to "want" to lose weight and I realise that I don't "want" to!!! Maybe you "wanted to" three months ago which is why you lost 10 kgs so maybe you could go back to that feeling to restart. Good Luck, no you don't need luck only inner strength.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Oros_Lady | 2007/02/27

At the age of 39 I am 35kg over weight.I also lifed in Lala land, and never had the will power or motivation to start with a "diet".Three months ago I decided,no more!!!!! I joined weightwatchers and started with a very moderate excercise program,3 times a week.I hate the word diet, because a diet have a beginning and an end.I realize for me to lose weight and keep it off, I should change my whole life style and attitude towards food.WW program is just that, not only do you tackle bad eating habits, but also the mental issues going with it.I'm taking it one day at a time, and has given myself a long term solution.Yeah, it might take me 12 months to lose all the weight BUT I wont pick it up again.Good luck, I know how you feel.

Reply to Oros_Lady