Question
Posted by: Vanessa G | 2007/07/24

Ultrasound Result

Hi Dr. Cassim
I went to Vitalab yesterday and an ultrasound was performed. The doctor said that my uterus was turned around (or in the wrong position) and that he thought he saw a "V" in the ultrasound (which he would confirm with the HSG) and which may have the effect in resulting in miscarriages. In terms of me falling pregnant, what does this mean?
Thanks. Vanessa G

Dear Vanessa G

A retroverted uterus is a normal finding in approximately 30% of women who have not previously conceived. However, a ridge or possible septum in the uterus needs to be verified by an HSG. I would advise you to proceed with that investigation.