Question
Posted by: BUGSY | 2005/07/15

Ultasound due date

I have just had my second ultrasound and according to my last menstration and my doctor I am around 16 weeks with my due date being the 31st December. With today's ultrasound they took some more measurements and according to the measurement taken of the head the due date is the 20th of December and reflects that i am 18 weeks-however i am sure of the 16 weeks since i know date of conception. Does this mean that my baby is growing too fast or has something wrong with it? I am worrying myself sick. Please help

Pregnancy time is worked out from the last menstrual period. Ovulation does not always occur when expected. If, for example it occurred on Day 7 instead of Day 14, this would make the baby a week older. There is nothing to worry about.

7
Posted by: BUGSY | 2005/07/15

Thanks you all made me feel much better :-). Wow 5.2kg, my husband was a 5.5kg baby and his mother gave natural birth, which would probably explain why he is an only child. Thanks all

Reply to BUGSY
Posted by: samantha | 2005/07/15

My first scan 'married' up to my dates exactly, the second scan shows the baby a week older. I am not taking those dates very seriously, as I know they can change.
Anon... was your baby actually 5.2 kgs at birth??? Wow!

Reply to samantha

Remember that the first ultrasound done is the closest one to the real due date. Your babies measurements will changed as will your due date, but the docs generally use the first(earliest scan that they did) as they indication. If your baby does grow to quite a large size (mine was 5.2kgs), then they will bring the due date in closer as time goes, and it is by no means an indication of a problem. I ended up having my little monster by c-section (no ways was a going to try and push him out ) 6 weeks earlier than the original due date

Posted by: Jean | 2005/07/15

I'm also about 16 weeks. During the last couple of scans, my due date has changed from 1 Jan to 30 Dec to 6 Jan to 4 Jan.

Don't worry, babies grow at their own rate and the measurements aren't exactly correct, if your Gynae measures even 1mm more or less, then it changes the due date.

All the best!!!

Reply to Jean
Posted by: Shmegal | 2005/07/15

They don't work on conception date at all. Pregnancy length is calculated from the first day of your last period which would be about 2 weeks before conception, hence the 2 week difference.

Reply to Shmegal
Posted by: Moi | 2005/07/15

they normally add on 2 weeks from your conception date. accoring to my date of conception, i am only 19 weeks, but the unltrasound shows 21 weeks. no need for you to stress. i'm sure that all is 100% with baby!

Reply to Moi
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/15

STOP stressing!!! If there was anything to worry about - your doctor would've discussed it with you.

The ultrasound works out the due date according to the baby's measurements. I know lots of women who's due dates change through their pregnancy.

Reply to SLC