Question
Posted by: Nal | 2006/04/12

Ulcers/Heartburn

For the past three or four years I have been suffering from severe heartburn. I take Eno's etc and I've been to doctor who gave me Altosec. This only helps for the moment. I'm a 26 year old female and I eat spicy food in moderation. Is there a possibility that I may have an ulcer? I have a stressful job and I study as well.

What are the symptoms of ulcers, and what kind of check should my doctor do to detect an ulcer because all I get from doctors is tablets which don't seem to get to the root of the problem.

Many thanks

Dear Nal
Your doctor should send you for a gastroscopy - where they look into your stomach with a tube ( if you don't have a medical aid you can have it done at your nearest provincial hospital) and you should be on a course of 6 weeks treatment plus/minus antibiotics depending on what the results of the gastroscopy is.