Posted by: P | 2004/11/10


What are the symptoms of ulcers?
What diet to follow when one has an ulcer?
If anger is a possible cause, advise on anger management.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear P
The symptoms of ulcers include pain in the middle of the abdomen either when your stomach is empty or after eating, lots of winds and bloating, acid reflux, heartburn, etc. I trust that the dr is also treating you with proton pump inhibitors and antacids, plus antibiotics if you have Helicobacter pylori infection. If not, then discuss these medications with him/her again. One of the prime causes of ulcers, is stress (your anger is a manifestation of stress), so you need to find ways of dealing with stress that are more effective. I would suggest consulting a clinical psychologist who can teach you relaxing techniques and deep breathing exercises and help you come to terms with your anger. If you have an ulcer you can try eating 6 small meals a day, instead of 3 large ones: e.g. Breakfast fruit and cereal plus yoghurt and a beverage; teatime - wholewheat sandwich with cottage cheese or lean meat and a fruit, etc. Avoid all spicy and fatty foods, and all alcohol and gassy or caffeine-containing drinks (cola drinks) and cut down on coffee and tea. Some patients find that foods with an acid taste (oranges, lemons, pineapple, strawberries) and gas-producing foods (the cabbage family, raw onions and legumes) can also cause discomfort. This is an individual reaction, so it may help to keep a food diary and note down what foods cause YOU discomfort and then to avoid them. If you find it difficult to select a 6 meals-a day-diet, then do consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area).
Hope you feel better soon

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.