Question
Posted by: Amore | 2007/05/25

Ulcerative colitis

Will taking probiotics help my condition? I'm eating allot (at least 2 tubs a day) of those new "well-b" yogurts. And I am taking a homeopathic pill called "AB-lactics" wich is apparantly probiotics. But it is almost finished and I'm wondering what else there is to try. Wich yogurt is best for probiotics.
Thank you!

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Amore
You are doing the right thing. Well-B yogurts are as good. Woolworths, Howaru are also an option, just check that you east them by the “use by” date, which is very short (often only 2 days)
With regard to probiotic supplements, these are a safer bet than yoghurt in that:
1. Scientifically studied and validated probiotic strains in supplements are often a lot more robust than those generally found as so-called “starter cultures” in yoghurts.
2. Strains added (i.e to yoghurts after pasturization) are difficult to stabilize, hence the very short shelf-life
3. Proven supplements offer quantifiable doses, you can be sure of what you are getting.
You can stay on AB-lactis, I am not very familiar with this product.
I generally recommend Reuteri (1 chew tablet daily) as it has been extensively studied clinically and proven to be safe. Refer to www.biogaia.com. There are studies published in rat models showing a protective effect of Reuteri (active ingredient is a probiotic bacteria called Lactobacillus reuteri) when colitis was induced.
Reuteri will also help to boost the growth of other so-called “good bacteria” which form a part of your normal flora and thus protect you from recurrent Ulcerative colitis.
I would be interested in your feedback after a few weeks.

2
Posted by: Roxy | 2007/06/05

Hi Amore
I have seen them at our chemist.

Roxy

Reply to Roxy
Posted by: Amore | 2007/05/28

Thank you for the advise! But where will I get hold of this Reuteri?

Reply to Amore