Question
Posted by: john M | 2003/02/09

Ulcerative Colitis

I have been diagnosed via a colonoscopy as having the above. I am being treated with Pentasa. Please advise what I should or shouln't eat or drink. I normaly enjoy 3 or 4 brandy and Tab's at night but have not had a drink since before my colonoscopy almost three weeks ago. Please advise when it would be safe to start drinking again and what would be better, A friend suggested Scotch and water.

Many thanks

John M

Dear John
Because of the seriousness of your condition and the fact that you are taking medication, I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name and address of your nearest dietitian). The dietitian will work out a diet which takes all your personal characteristics into consideration and will also help you monitor your progress. I don't think you should be drinking any alcohol as yet because it can act as an irritant to the digestive tract and depress your liver functions, etc, which may interfere with the treatment you are receiving. Rather safe, than sorry.
Take care