Question
Posted by: Sore Tummy | 2007/12/02

ulcer pains

I have a history of a duodenal ulcer which was treated with antibiotics and nexiam 2 yrs ago. The same acid pain has returned, I am taking Nexiam 40mg daily and Gaviscon. The pain is typical acid pain, it is located 2cm left of my belly button and worse when I lie down. The only thing I'm allergic to is Anti-inflammatories, as I get gastric ulcers from them. Do I need to add a penicilllin antibiotic with the nexiam tas well ?

Dear Sore Tummy
Sometimes the ulcer can flare up due to a helicobacter pylori infection - one needs a follow-up gastroscopy to take a sample and test for this. There is a combination of antibiotics you need for a H Pylori infection and penicillen alone won't be sufficient. Please ask your GP to refer you to a gastroentrologist for this.