Question
Posted by: Pertu | 2005/11/25

Ulcer

I have ulcer and I dont have any clue about it or what to eat or what to take as medication.

Pertu, there is no evidence that changing a diet speeds ulcer healing or prevents recurrence. Thus, many physicians recommend eliminating only foods that cause distress (eg, fruit juice, spicy and fatty foods). Milk, which had been a mainstay of therapy, does not aid ulcer healing and actually promotes gastric acid secretion. Although there are no definitive data linking moderate amounts of alcohol to delayed ulcer healing, alcohol is a strong promoter of acid secretion, so ulcer patients are commonly advised to restrict alcohol consumption to dilute and small amounts. Smoking is a risk factor for the development of ulcers and their complications and appears to impair ulcer healing and increase the incidence of recurrence. The risk of recurrence and degree of healing inhibition correlate with the number of cigarettes smoked per day. Let me know as a new question if you have more questions. Good luck.