Posted by: Sarah | 2009/02/09



My domestic worker and garden boy have been working for me for about 8 months now without an employment contract, i am not familiar with UIF and contracts etc. i want to draw up contracts now for them both to sign because i am worried about the legal implications, do i only start paying UIF once they signed the contracts or am i now liable for the 8 months that i never deducted from their salaries?

My garden boy mainly works 3 times a week but occassionally i ask him to work saturdays and somedays i tell him its also not necessary to come in to work, how does an employment contract and UIF work around flexi time workers?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


You do need to register domestic workers which includes gardeners for UIF. You should also be drawing up proper contracts to show the flexi time etc. You have to use the booklet with draft contracts and all the do's and don'ts. Please contact Bernard Reisner at

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: ! | 2009/02/11

So your " garden boy"  is actually a B-O-Y? Doesn' t that make it child labour?
Or are you referring to the black man who probably has a wife and children of his own that you happen not to have the decency to think of an appropriate job description for?

Reply to !
Posted by: Boetie | 2009/02/09

The best is to contact your nearest office of Dept. of Labour. They will b able to tell you the right thing.

Reply to Boetie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.