Question
Posted by: Nat | 2004/11/15

Udo's Choice Organic Perfected omega 3, 6, 9 Oil Blend.

Dear DietDoc,
Could you please, advice my whole family if we should carry on taking this Udo's Choice Oil Blend on a regular basis? Can I also give it to a 2 years old? Can pregnant ladies take it? It is increadibly popular in England, but what do YOU think about it?
INGREDIENtS: flax seed oil; sunflower seed oil; sesame seed oil; rice and oat germ oils; medium chain triglycerides (MCTs);evening primrose oil; lecithin (GMO-free); vitamin E; antioxidants (tocotrienols); and rosemary oil.
Naturally Occurring "Minor Ingredients":65mg of phytosterols/tablespoon (lower cholesterol and normalize immune function); lignans (beneficial phytoestrogens from flax); carotene; and tocotrienols and other seed specific antioxidants. Hundreds of other oil-soluble, health-benefiting phytonutrients.
I would really appreciate your independant professional opinion.
Thanks.

Dear Nat
I presume this is the alternative to the cod liver oil you were asking about the other day? I think this sounds like a good product which should boost your omega fatty acid intake and also give you the benefit of vit E in the form of tocotrienols which are regarded as the most potent form of vit E. In fact all the ingredients sound perfectly good and healthy to me. Just make sure that you stick to the dosage prescribed on the label or in the package insert, esp for your child, as any supplement, even the healthiest ones should not be taken in excess. I am also always hesitant to recommend ANY supplement to pregnant ladies as I don't know if this specific product has been tested for potential teratogenicity or not. Discuss its use with your dr or gynae before you take it. In this case, the beta-carotene (which is transformed into vit A in the human body), is not regarded as potentially toxic like the pure vits A and D in cod liver oil. But rather be safe than sorry, so ask your dr before you take it. If it is a superior product it should display warnings on the label or packaging about its use in pregnancy. I am just a bit worried about the rosemary oil as I seem to recall that this should not be taken in pregnancy as it can increase blood pressure. But I am not a herbalist so you would have to ask someone working in this field.