Question
Posted by: MICHAEL | 2007/08/26

U ARE A GENIUS, SHRINKY

Hello Cybershrink,

I posted a question about my jogging and anxiety attacks. You were so right. The jogging did do this to me. You spoke about a chemical reaction in my body, that could have sparked that panic attacks? But why? Isit that my body is producing too much endorphins?

(blush) We probably vary in the extent of the reaction, but jogging and other serious forms of exercise lead one to produce endorphins ; I haven't seen research on this aspect, but I'd expect that we may vary somewhat in how much endorphin we produce, and in how sensitive we are to its effects. These are what produces the so-called "Runner's High", or the sense of relief and well-being when you push yourself beyond a certain limit. And its recognized that some runners do get hooked on it, and feel really bad when they don't run, even when it's unhelpful to their health ( like running through smog and pollution, or in the rain ) --- and they may get mild endorphion / opiate withdrawal symptoms when they suddenly don't run. Presumably, more gradual reduction in the amount of running, and spreading it out more evenly and less extremely through the week, rather than doing an awful lot on a couple of days and none on the rest, could help.