Posted by: Jessica | 2005/06/21

Type 2 Diabetes

My fiance is in danger of getting Type 2 diabetes. (his grandfather died of the disease) It seems like after he eats, his count goes through the roof. His doctor has told him that he needs to exercise and watch his diet. His weight is currently at 68kg and his height is 1.73m . I need to know what types of food he should be eating? and what should he stay away from? He is always tired and has dark rings under his eyes. Is this from a poor diet and lack of exercise, or could there be something else? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Jessica
Your fiancé's present BMI = 22,7, so he is certainly not overweight, but his risk of diabetes must be attended to ASAP. It is essential for anyone with diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take his insulin resistance or diabetes, and medications, into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. He also needs to get active on a daily basis (swimming, jogging, skipping, running, cycling, gym or going for brisk walks) because regular exercise can lower the risk of diabetes considerably. His tiredness is probably due to the fact that he is not able to utilise the food he eats for energy purposes because of the insulin resistance. The dark rings may be associated with his condition or genetic - some families do have these dark rings without them indicating any physiological problem.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.