Question
Posted by: Karen | 2007/08/17

Two sets of dogs to live together

My boyfriend and I will be moving into a house together in the near future. He has two female 4 year old Alsatians's and I have a four year old Labrador and a 11 year old Rough Collie. Neither of us are prepared to part with our dogs and would like to know how to handle this situation. The property is 1300 sqm so large enough for all four dogs - but WILL they live together?

You need to check with you municipality as some have limits on the number of dogs that can be kept on one property. If they allow four dogs then it would be good to introduce tham on neutral land and then take them to the new property at the same time so that none get the chance to recognise it as their own before the others.

3
Posted by: jcat | 2007/08/20

When ex-b/f and I moved in together, I had two males of 7 and 3, he had a male of about 10 and a female of 4 or 5. It makes it easier if you introduce them on neutral territory first, so if you are moving to a property new to all of you, that should help. That way, nobody is invading anyone else's turf.
As Carol says, making sure that everyone is spayed/neutered first (preferably at least 3 months before the merge) is mandatory. And bitches are far more likely to go at each other than males.....so much for the gentler sex!

Reply to jcat
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/17

What are the sexes of your dogs ? and is everyone spayed and neutered.

I dont forsee too much of a problem , its much like setting up home where there are a lot of children involved ... ground rules need to be set .... as K has suggested let them all become buds first , perhaps a little refresher training for all would also be useful.

Its going to take time tho ..... and if your dogs are girls you are going to have to be careful .... bitches running together can be a huge problem .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: K | 2007/08/17

Have they been introduced? Try to take them to a place where they can run free and let them become friends before you move in together.

Reply to K