Question
Posted by: need help | 2007/02/20

two female dogs started fighting

i have a 2-yr-old Ridgeback and a 6-yr-old Doberman, both spayed females. The Ridgeback started fighting with the Doberman and inflicted major injuries on her. We kept the Doberman in the house after she returned from the vet and the Ridgeback went crazy when she smell the Doberman in the house. it looks as if a will never be able to put them together again! there has never been any problems between them in the past and would play for hours! What can i do to solve this problem? plzse help!

You will need to have a behaviour specialsit help with this. Unfortunately something appears to have upset the balance and a behaviour person may be able to spot it and help resolve it.

3
Posted by: had the same problem | 2007/02/28

I had exactly the same problem with 2 very sweet, well natured Golden Retrievers. For 4 years butter wouldn't melt in their mouths until one afternoon ...The one was the Mum and was 6 years old, the other her daughter who was 4 at the time. Her own daughter started viciously attacking her every single time I arrived home.
I saw many behaviourist as I dearly wanted to sort the problem and they were best friends until the fateful first fight but alas in the end had to rehome the daughter as it got beyond comprehension and I had been bitten and needed stitches too many times to count.
The young bitch went to a friend of mine where she is an only dog and is the happiest girl alive.

Reply to had the same problem
Posted by: Chill | 2007/02/20

Even with the help of a behaviourist it is unlikely that things will ever again be the way they were. Sadly, you will in all likelihood either have to keep them apart, or rehome one.

Best of luck anyway.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/02/20

This is a serious situation , your ridgeback has reached the age where she wants to be top dog , the doberman is already top dog and the chances of either of them backing down are remote.

Two dominant bitches in a home can lead to the death of one of them, bitches will fight to the death if they have to.

You are going to have to keep them seperated until you can consult a behaviourist.

Reply to Carol