Question
Posted by: Curious | 2002/12/04

Two condoms at the same time

dear doc, is it safer to use 2 condoms at the same time rather than 1 - so if 1 breaks the other one is still intact?

what about using the male condom and female condom at the same time? is it safer? are they compatible?

After talking with numerous health care providers, health educators and condom manufacturing representatives, the overwhelming response is AGAINST the practice of wearing two condoms. While there does not yet seem to be any scientific literature to support this stance, it comes from the advice of professionals (including the Centers for Disease Control, OB/GYN doctors and nurse practitioners, and condom manufacturers) who are most knowledgeable in the area of contraception and sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevention. Their explanation is that during sex, an excessive amount of friction will occur between the two condoms and increase the likelihood of either, or both, condoms breaking.

When worn correctly, one condom is adequate (88%-98% effective) for pregnancy prevention and for protection against some STIs such as HIV/AIDS. If you are concerned about pregnancy prevention specifically, you can opt to use condoms in combination with other contraceptive methods such as oral contraception (“the pill”) or a diaphragm. Also, several condom manufacturers sell extra-strength condoms that have shown to be even more tear-resistant than normal strength condoms. Extra-strength condoms are especially recommended for anal intercourse. And, since extra-strength condoms are made of a thicker latex rubber, they may also have the additional effect of reducing a man’s sensitivity and allowing him to delay orgasm.

Dr Mac

2
Posted by: Experienced | 2002/12/04

Hello there. If anybody has experience with condoms it must be me. I have used them for 22 yrs now since I was 18 +NEVER had 1 failure. My golden rules are: 1- I ALWAYS put it on myself - some women have long sharp nails. 2- I ONLY use expensive high quality ones, quality is determined by price. 3- I ALWAYS use plenty of lube both inside + outside. 4- I always put it on properly - press the teat end to expell all the air. With these rules I have NEVER EVER had a failure using only 1 condom at a time; + that is with a bit of anal sex as well. Regards.

Reply to Experienced
Posted by: Jonni B Good | 2002/12/04

Hey Curious,

It's more dangerous to use two condoms at the same time. Also, Only use water-based lubricants and spermicides (Such as KY Gel), petroleum based lubricants - Like vaseline - have a destructive effect on latex condoms.

Reply to Jonni B Good