Question
Posted by: Pix | 2004/11/23

Twins

I recently gave birth to twins. Is it true that the possibility of having twins is increased if there is a history of twins in ones family and that the twin gene is often passed through the maternal line?There is no history of twins on my mother's side of the family as far as I know. My husband has twin sisters and each of them has a set of fraternal twins, the amazing thing is that he was adopted. Also what are the chances of my sons having twins? Thanks.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Pix

Maternal inheritance was suggested in a study performed many years ago (Weinberg, 1909) but more recent studies favour inheritance of relevant genetic factors from both parents. It is dificult to predict exactly what the chances of your sons would be to have twins but it is likely to be higher than in families with no history of twins in previous generations.

Regards, Maritha