Question
Posted by: Caitlyn | 2004/02/03

twins?

Hi Doc,

I did a home preg test 3 days before my period was due, I know when I ovulated and when implantation happened because I do temp charting. On day 9 after ovulation, I had a few spots of blood, which I gather was implantation bleeding and the very next day my temps shot up into the third phase which happens once implantation occurs, after 2 days of the higher temp I was very tempted so did the test but didn't expect it to show a positive so soon ( I was basically 11 days since conception ). The line was quite strong so I'm now wondering if I've messed up my dates or if there is another reason for such a strong positive result, if I were to be carrying twins would this perhaps give such a strong positive so soon?

Sometimes a weak line may mean that there is very little hormone around, but once it reaches the threshold of 25 U, there will be a strong line, irrespective of how much above the 25 the levels are. Therefore it would not really indicate twins. A blood test would give more accurate values.