Question
Posted by: CC | 2007/03/08

twin dissapearance

I was pregnant two years ago with twins, one twin sadly disappeared. The other baby was perfectly healthy and still is. Is there a chance of me conceiving twins naturally again?

Dear CC

It is not uncommon to have repeated early twin pregnancies with vanishing twin syndrome. This syndrome was found to be more common than previously thought. With the advent of more advanced ultra-sound scanning, a large number of pregnancies have been found to originate as twin pregnancies but later continue to progress as singletons and the concept of vainshing twin syndrome has become common placed as a consequence.

1
Posted by: Been There | 2007/03/10

As much chance as you had the first time. My first pregnancy also started as a twin pregnancy (but I was on fertility treatment). The one disappeared at around 8 weeks.

I've just had more fertility and am now pregnanct with twins again - this time 10 weeks and both are strong and looking good.

Wishing you all the best

Reply to Been There