Question
Posted by: Choci | 2008/01/24

Turmoil

The day that I extracted my 2 protruding 2 front teeth in my matric year…a part of my soul went with it
4 years down the line with an amazing set of dentures that make me look physically attractive…I still find myself to be that shy insecure girl with the big teeth… inside
I might be more talkative now, but my self-esteem is still at bottom low
Most nights I cry myself to sleep

How do I let go of that shy girl that no guy was interested in, to be the new me, that guys now like, I fixed the outside, but left the inside unchanged.

This is actually why I always advise patients and doctors, to be cautious about seeking physical solutions to what are basically psychological problems --- it might SEEM as though the teeth, or the shape of one's nose, or whatever, are the cause of all one's feelings of being unattractive or unhappy, but generally CBY counselling can solve the problem more cheaply and easily and permanently, and the surgery is surprisingly often ineffective.
DO see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and arrange to see a psychotherapist for T ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) to solve these problems more perhamently. Work on the inside, and the outside hardly matters