Question
Posted by: ST | 2003/02/06

tuna salad replacement<br>

Dear Doc,

I am currently following a diet that says I should eat Tuna salad for lunch two times a week. The salad consists of 70g Tuna, one tomato and lettuce. The problem is I am totally sick of tuna salad, I've been eating it for the past 5 years and am tired of the taste. I have difficulty eating it. Could you recommend a replacement that will not affect my diet negatively. On the days that I should eat tuna I have 75g of meusli and a glass of juice for breakfast and 200g of fish with salad for supper. I am a 24 year old female and am relatively active.

Dear ST
I take my hat off to you for eating the same thing twice a week for 5 years - that takes a lot of doing. The tuna can be replaced with any other canned, drained fish (pilchards or salmon), cooked or grilled fish chunks, cooked chicken breast without the skin, grilled pork cubes (pork is lean meat if you cut off the fat layer), 70g of low-fat cottage cheese, and even a hard- boiled egg. Are the foods listed above the only ones you eat? Do you ever drink low-fat milk or eat low-fat yoghurt or cottage cheese? If not, then you are exposing yourself to the risk of a calcium deficiency. And where do you get your energy from if you don't eat any unprocessed starches, fruit and vegetables except for the muesli, the juice and the salad? Please click on 'Diet' and then on 'View old Diet & Food site' and read the articles on 'Balanced diet I-IV' and check out the 'Slimming Diet'.