Question
Posted by: Tess | 2003/12/02

tumour of milk producing gland

Can you tell me what the seriousnous of a tumour of the milk producing gland is, how is it diagnosed and treated and is it life threatening and what are the implications of not treating it. I've been experiencing a production of milk in my breasts, not alot though, but I've been told it could be a tumour.

A tumour of the milk producing gland (prolactinoma) is diagnosed by measuring the levels of the hormone, prolactin. Sometimes a CT scan is necessary as the milk producing gland is in the brain. Treatment is usually with medication to suppress the milk production. Most of these tumours are quite small, but occasionally they can grow to a large size and can then cause pressure in the brain, which is a potentially serious condition. It is therefore important to have a diagnosis and full assessment done.