Question
Posted by: madge | 2005/11/17

tummy weight gain

During the past year I have gained approximately 2.5 kg and it has all settled on my tummy. I am 48 and on hormone replacement and high blood pressure medication. I also take bio strath and vit a & d.
I have started drinking a lot of home made fruite & veg Juice in the hopw of losing this weight and have cut out all alcohol. I juice about 6 0r 7 fruits and about 3 or 4 veg a day. is this excessive and should I be taking bio strath as well as added vitamens. I am a smoker as well.

Dear Madge
Weight gain with deposits of fat in the abdominal area do occur with increasing age, but I do think that your current intake of fruit and veg juice may be excessive. Keep in mind that all foods, even the healthiest ones, can cause weight gain if eaten in excess. If you are a smoker then it is a good idea to take a vitamin supplement. Just be careful with the amounts of vitamins A and D you take. These are so-called fat soluble vitamins which are stored in the body and if you ingest too much they can cause a variety of negative side-effects. Only take vitamins A and D about once or twice a week.