Question
Posted by: UnHappy Momy | 2004/10/20

Tummy Tuck & Breast Enlargement

I have had 3 kids and I have been sterlised. I now have what i can only call a "pooch" tummy that wont firm up with diet and exercise. I would like to have my breasts enlarged once more size, I am a B. Is the procedures safe and what costs are involved?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Unhappy Mommy,

All surgical procedures carry an element of risk, and your plastic surgeon will discuss the risks of each procedure with you when you visit him. Risks include that of excessive bleeding, risk of infection, excessive scarring, slow healing etc.

A breast enlargement procedure involves the placement of a silicone gel filled or saline filled prosthesis either under or over the muscle. Exactly which prosthesis is used and where the implant is placed depends on your anatomy and personal preference of the plastic surgeon. You will have scars, as with all surgical procedures, but these fall within the sub-mammary fold, which is a natural fold, meaning that the scars are usually not visible.

A tummy tuck procedure can be done on its own, can involve the tummy muscles (or not) and might also include liposuction, depending on whether your problem is excessive skin only, or deposits of excess fat which cannot be dieted away.