Question
Posted by: Rachel | 2006/11/05

Tummy tuck

I am a 22yr old single parent with one child. I have excess skin around my abdomen which is badly effecting my confidence and preventing me from seeking physical itimacy with a new partner. I have been offered abdomnioplasty surgery on the NHS but am most concerned about how it might effect future pregnancies I hope for. It took 3 years for me to fall pregnant with my son, I have miscarried once, and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. Taking these factors into consideration it would seem sensible to try and concieve again whilst I am young and more fertile. Unfortunetly my current appearance has created a barrier in my attempts to form new relationships. As a result I am feeling increasing pressure to go through with the operation. I feel very frustrated and confused about the situation and am seeking help to try and resolve these issues.

Dear Rachel
Abdominal plasty won't affect your fertility - but it may undo all the work of the surgery if you get pregnant again - if a man really likes and love you, a bit of extra skin on your stomach will not cause him to avoid you - they are also not perfect!