Question
Posted by: Hili | 2004/11/24

Tummy Tuck

Doc what is your opinion on the safety of a tummy tuck. is it safe to have 4-6 months after a caesar, are the results always what you expect, will overeating after the op make the tummy big again, are you forced to maintain it? Have any one out there had a tummy tuck and what was your experiences (good and bad) can one have it done using an epidural as an anaesthetic or do you have to be under general to do it (not while having caser but 4 months after) Is it painful if so it is as painful as a csection or worse?

What are the dangers and is there risk of overbleeding/dying on the table more than any other operation risks?

Hili,
1. the safety of a tummy tuck => it as safe as any medium operation in the hands of an experienced surgeon
2. is it safe to have 4-6 months after a caesar => I would wait a bit longer if I were you as you may still lose weight and firm up over the next couple of months especially if you go to the gym
3. are the results always what you expect => I can’t say as I don’t know what you’re expecting
4. will overeating after the op make the tummy big again => definitely
5. are you forced to maintain it => nobody will force, but it will defeat the whole reason for having the operation in the first place
6. Have any one out there had a tummy tuck and what was your experiences (good and bad) => I haven’t had a tummy tuck, so I can’t help with this one
7. can one have it done using an epidural as an anaesthetic or do you have to be under general to do it (not while having caser but 4 months after) => I suppose you can have it done under epidural anaesthesia, but it’s not going to be a pleasant experience. I would opt for general anaesthesia if I were you.
8. Is it painful if so it is as painful as a csection or worse => you will probably feel more bruised for a couple of days than after a caesarean section, but you should get better sooner.
9. What are the dangers and is there risk of overbleeding/dying on the table more than any other operation risks? => the risks are more or less the same as any other medium operation.
Good luck and if you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I get them.

2
Posted by: Pablo | 2004/11/24

I don't want to scare you, but I've seen the most horrific photographs of someone whose body started shutting down as a result of having had too much fat removed. They did not even allow the patient to see herself !
And yes, you can die from the op.

Reply to Pablo
Posted by: K | 2004/11/24

Cyberdoc, please can you include some estimates on prices when you anser Hili.

Some info on breast reduction would also not go to waste!

Reply to K