Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2004/10/09

Tummy tuck

I have recently had a total abdominal hysterectomy. The presiding doctor did not do a tummy tuck and I am left with quite a large 'apron' over my scar.

I now have to have a tummy tuck and need to enquire if I need to loose weight and if so how many kilograms and if possible the cost of the tummy tuck operation as well as the duration period for recovering.
Thanking you

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Barbara,

A gynaecologist doing a hysterectomy would certainly not do a tummy tuck. In very selected cases the two procedures can be combined, and the gynaecologist would then call in a plastic and reconstructive surgeon to do the abdominoplasty or tummy tuck procedure.

It is unclear why you would be left with an 'apron' after the procedure, as it is more likely to have had this physical problem prior to surgery, unless you have gained weight after the procedure. Before undergoing a tummy tuck, it is advisable that you are as close as possible to your ideal body weight, as weigth loss or gain after the surgical procedure would work against the benefits obtained with the procedure.

You should attempt a professional weight loss program worked out by a dietician and accompanied by some personal training to strengthen your abdominal muscles at the same time. This, in itself, might also assist with minimising the size of the 'apron'.

Every patient responds differently to a tummy tuck operation, and recovery can take anything between 2 and 8 weeks.