Posted by: K | 2008/08/13

Tummy probs

I have found that if I eat any wheaty foods I have the most painful bloated gassy tummy for about 3 days afterwards. It' s awful and embarrassing and either results in constipation and then sudden diarrhoea. My mum also seems to suffer similar symptoms. I would just like to have a name for this problem and if there is anything I can do (I really like my seed bread!)?

Dear K
You and your Mom may suffer from a wheat allergy or intolerance or even a gluten allergy called coeliac disease. Please consult a physician (ask your gp to refer you) and discuss the possibility of a wheat allergy/coeliac disease with the physician who will send you for the necessary tests. If you should have coeliac disease then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out a wheat-free diet for you. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .