Question
Posted by: PA | 2007/08/02

Tummy fat loss without losing my breasts

Dear Doctor,
I am thin and have very small breasts. However, my stomach is a little fat and I would like to make it look a little better, but I'm afarid my breats will become flat as well. What can I do? There is a machine that people can buy to get their tummies flat. Should I buy one?

HI PA

I don't think those types of machines work, I'm not sure which one you're referring to (there are many), but they all claim to work the same way, and none really work very well because they're based on the same principles, which are incorrect. And that principle is that you can 'spot reduce', which means losing weight in specific areas only - this is not possible.

So what you need to do for the fat on the stomach is cardio training. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross