Question
Posted by: FitFreak | 2003/01/18

Tummy Exercise

Hi. I workout 5 times a week. I walk 4kms a day, plus 20min of weight training. I have a set of 2 3kg dumbells that i use to tone my biceps, triceps, etc. I am starting to tone up but my tummy area is still a problem. The upper body is decreasing but the tummy is staying the same, making it look bigger than it really is. I do 30 situps a day. I do not want to go to the gym, what can I do at home to tone my tummy. I am a 27 year old male, 1.78m and 80kgs

HI there

Keep up the good training. WhatI suggest, is that you click on the programme "Shape up for Summer" on the home page. There you will find a comprehensive set of home-based exercises which should help you.
Perhap you also need to look at your diet and make some changes - speak to Dietdoc about this.

Your Body Mass INdex, an indication of your weight for your height is only just above 25, it should be less than 25, so perhaps with some new exercises and an optimised eating plan - you will be better off.

Good luck.

2
Posted by: Elmi | 2003/01/24

I want to follow your training program in wow.
1 I do not go to the gym,so where can I get ideas on alternatives for excercizes
2 For cardio - I play squash and walk and swim, where can I get an idea how to rate these excersizes to fit into the program

thanks

Reply to Elmi
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/01/19

Have your body fat % checked. My guess is you'll be surprised how high yout body fat % is. Multiple abdominal (tummy) exercises won't rid the fat from your abdominal area- your abs might look great underneath, but the fat will prevent you from seeing this and you'll still look fat. Only correct eating will help - you have to get rid of abdominal fat to get the six pack look and the correct diet and correct exercise will do this. The fat on your gut will probably be the last to go. I'm guessing you may be restricting your calorie intake "to loose weight" Mistake!! If you starve your body it canabalises muscle to provide energy. You need to eat the right TYPE of food, not necessarily restrict the calorie intake. What could be happening is that you're loosing muscle mass and not fat creating a "pear shape". (BYW - This is a common mistake - especially with women) It's muscles that create your shape and body fat that destroys it. So you need to build muscle and drop body fat to change your look. Correct diet (eating plan) and correct exercise are the key. You seem to have the motivation but you need to see a competent professional to get advice(NB check their qualifications and SHAPE first !!)

Reply to Ma'at