Posted by: Lunga | 2005/11/22

Tubes blocked

my friend (female) is trying to have a baby and after a lot of expensive tests she was told that her tubes are blocked and therefore she cant have a baby? Cant she do any implant or something. She is very frustrated

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Lunga

The issue of tubal obstruction is not an uncommon problem. The treatment depends to a large extent, on the nature and degree of severity of the blockage. In early stage damage, tubal surgery or repair is feasible. However, in more advanced disease, the best treatment option would be to undergo Invitro fertilisation.(IVF)
The success rate of tubal surgery , if done by an experienced surgeon, may be equal to that of IVF, obviously the merits of the case needs to be carefully established before surgery is undertaken.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Women | 2005/11/22

The best thing for your friend to do is to go to a fertility specialist. Surgery might be an option otherwise IVF is the only other option.
Please keep in mind, after tubal surgery your risk of a tubal (ectopic pregnancy) is very high.
And the pregnancy rate for IVF treatment is between 25 - 40%
But it is best to see a specialist for treatment options. Your gynae or GP can refer you to a specialist. You can also phone Medfem, Wilgeheuwel Hospital or Sandton Fertility Clinic if you are in the Gauteng area.

Reply to Women

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.