Question
Posted by: Sally | 2005/07/14

Tuberculosis

I have been diagnosed with TB about 3 weeks ago. I would like to know why it is only necessary to take the medication from Monday to Friday, and also if it is dangerous to use alcohol while taking the medication.

Sally, you have to take a break so that the medication doesn’t heap up in the blood and cause side effects. If you monitor the blood levels closely you can take it every day. You may be able to handle alcohol in small amounts, but it will put extra strain on the liver and it might cause serious liver problems. The best would be to avoid it. Good luck.