Question
Posted by: carm | 2004/10/29

tube testing

My husband and I decided to plan to have a baby after been married for 2 years. I was 28 years old at that time. After realising it took to long to fall pregnant I had to see a gynae and had a mymectomy in 2000. 4 years after 2000 and I'm still not pregnant after having this opt. I'm about to go for a tube test.(also developed more fibroids on lining of my wombs). Please describe to me the procedure of the ovarian(tube)test and what my changes are if they find out my tubes are blocked.

There are two ways of checking the tubes. One is an HSG, where dye is injected through the tubes and an X-ray taken to see if it comes out the other end. The other is a laparoscopy, a small operation where a telescope is inserted into your abdomen. The tubes are then directly visualised and dye is once again injected and it can be seen whether it spills out the other end. If your tubes are blocked, depending on the severity, either tubal surgery can be done or IVF.

2
Posted by: Tracey | 2004/10/30

are you seeing a fertility specialist or just a normal gynae? I strongly suggest you see a fertility specialist for thorough testing and more agressive treatment. You should be pregnant after 4 years if you are being treated by an expert in the fertility field. Vitalab in Linksfield and Medfem in sandton are brilliant. Good Luck

Reply to Tracey
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/29

Carm,

I think there are more than one way of finding out if your tubes are blocked. One method is to inject a safe dye into the uterus and see if it comes out the end of the tube. I think this is done using a tiny camera (during a laparoscopy). Another problem may be that the tube has got adhesions to the abdominal cavity which prevents it from picking up the egg. These adhesions can be removed during laparoscopy.

If you have blocked tubes, the doc will probably suggest in vitro as GIFT is too risky (may result in ectopic pregnancy). If there are some adhesions which are removed, a GIFT is a possible solution to your infertility.

Best to be a bit more aggressive about your treatment as a long time has elapsed and after 35 the success rate of these procedures diminishes rapidly. Has your hubby been tested? In some cases there is infertility in both partners.

Good luck on your quest to have a baby!

Reply to Golly