Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2005/01/05

TTC & Training

I see my personal trainer 4-5 times a week. My husband and I have now decided to ttc. My pt however does not think that I need to change the way he traines me (heartrate sometimes >160) cardio as well as weight training (legpress >100kg)

Is this OK, or should I take it easier just in case I do fall pregnant.

Ps : I had a multiple pregnancy before, miscarried at 3mnts due to a chromosome defect.

Hi gogga

I think that the best thing for you to do, considering your previous unfortunate miscarriage is to go every step of this with a gynaecologist and make sure that everything is optimal. Exercise is one of many factors. the thing about exercise is that very intense exercise does influence the menstrual cycle and consequently pregnancy quite substantially. This is something we know pretty conclusively - there are many documented cases of amennorhea, where the hormonal cycle is disrupted (often, this is accompanied by eating disorders and severe weight loss). Now, what is intense for one person is not necessarily intense for another. My personal opinion, based on very little other than what you have described in your training, is that you are probably not training hard enough to cause any problem solely as a result of exercise. that's not to say that you are guaranteed success - you could very easily stop exercise completely and still struggle. So, the bottom line is that it's really impossible to say what effect the exercise will have, but I am relatively confident that for now, your exercise is probably not going to adversely affect your chances.

Once you do fall pregnant, then the situation may change and over the next few months, you would undoubtedly need to change things - intense exercise and heavy weights must stop, and you do have to be careful. However, i would cross this bridge at a later stage, and for now, just keep up what you are doing, but most importantly, consult with a doctor all the way