Question
Posted by: jeanine | 2011/05/03

TTC and irregular periods

Hi!

I have a 2year old son and we have been trying for 12mnths to fall pregnant again without success. I did have 1 chemical pregnancy.

Ever since April 2010 (when I stopped using the pill) I''ve had irregular periods. Cycles last between 35 and 64 days. My gynae had me on Estrofem and Clomid for 2 months, then added GonalF injections and utrogestan, then added Fostimon injections as well. After 6 months of this treatment I decided that it was very expensive and it made me feel sick (I gained lots of weight, my skin broke out badly, and the dissapointment of unsuccessful treatment was unbearable).

I have stopped all treatment for now(only taking vitamins now).

What are my chances of actually falling pregnant again, and is there anything I can do to regulate my cycles and increase chances of falling pregnant? (I had no difficulty falling pregnant the first time, it was actually unplanned!) The gynie has seen me many times over the past 6 months and I do not have any obvious problems and I do ovulate when on treatment.

Dear Jeanine

The most likely cause of irregular cycles is the possibility of ovulatory dysfunction. This in turn maybe secondary to recent weight gain and insulin resistance, which maybe accompanied by polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). If this is the case then a good weight loss program resulting in at least 8kgs of weight loss may be all that is necessary to bring back your ovulation. If after the weight loss there is still no pregnancy then simple ovulation induction again may be all that is required to obtain a pregnancy. The proviso it that all other factors such as sperm factors and tubal factors would be considered to be normal and the only problem in this instance is deemed to be ovulatory dysfunction.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/09

Dear Jeanine

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert