Question
Posted by: Lele | 2008/01/22

TTC

I have been trying to conceive for the past year and have not been successful. I have normal periods every month and do not have problems with any health issues. What could be the problem and can I start taking fertility boosting supplements and if so which ones?

Your response is much appreciated.

Lele

Dear Lele

In the first instance the problem may well partner and therefore it would be prudent to have a sperm analysis done at this stage. If he is reluctant and as a baseline home sperm analysis kits can be obtained from our centre which could assist with initial screening. In addition careful analysis of the patency of your fallopian tubes as well as other hormonal factors needs to be excluded the spite that you have normal periods. Once this information is available the appropriate options can be considered. Should there be no definite pathology noted then simple timed intercourse would be all that is necessary. The use of supplements is in general not needed unless there is a specific dietary malatoral syndrome or dietary deficiency (strict vegetarians ect.). There is insufficient scientific data to substantiate the use of vitamin supplements in enhancing pregnancy rates although the use of folic acid supplementation is recommended and has been proven scientifically beneficial.