Question
Posted by: Anxious | 2007/03/08

TTC

I refer to your response on the 14/2/07, were you explained the reason for the delayed menses. You indicated that a persistent corpus luteum could have occured which delayed my menses. You also shared that the reason behind it could have been due to hormonal imbalance in the luteal phase.

Q1. How is this hormonal balance treated to enable pregnancy

My concern is that 5 months ago a laporoscopy performed was clear and yet I'm still not pregnant. I'm ovulating as dertermined with the monitoring kit monthly and my cycle started on the 08/03/07, 27 days after my last cycle.

Q2.Should I engage my gynae to start monitoring my cycle to
determine reasons for not conceiving.

Please provide the options available to me given my history( I've been off a contraceptive for 3years).

Dear Anxious

Firstly the laparoscopy and failure to conceive may not have have any bearing since the hormonal problem or implanation problem is not diagnosed laparoscopically. The fact that ovulation monitoring using the testing kit is being considered, is a positive starting point. My advice would be to continue using the testing kits and commence gestational support approximately 5 days after ovulation has occured.
This will promote implantation if the implantation is related to progesterone levels.
However, one should also bear in mind at this point that a positive ovulation detection might not necessarily imply the release of an egg. There are syndromes such as Lutenised unruptured Follicle Syndrome (LUFS) and empty follicle syndrome which may both simulate ovulation but may not result in the release of an egg at all. Hence, in cases of 'unexplained' infertility it is often best to have a gynaecologist monitoring the cycle and in some cases one may even have to consider IVF to make the absolute diagnosis.

1
Posted by: JBE | 2007/03/08

Hi there, I had the same problem as you and after ttc the doctor eventually suggested my husband also be tested. That was where our problem lay. His sperm count is low. So we have opted for AI. Good luck.

Reply to JBE