Question
Posted by: Ali | 2005/11/24

TTC

Have been TTC for 4 months. I am a bit concerned as to whether we will be able to conceive naturally. My husband was injured during ruby in his teens, and lots one testicle. Does this necessarily mean that he is sterile? Or does it decrease our chances? Any advise as to TTC?

Dear Ali

It is certainly of great concern to note your injury to your husband. It is quite often noted that where there has been some sort of damage or surgery to the testicle that there is an increased risk of producing anti-sperm antibodies. These antibodies may progressively impair sperm production and may cause a decline in male fertility. I would therefore recommend that he does a sperm analysis as soon as possible to exclude or confirm the presence of these anti-sperm antibodies.