Question
Posted by: afraid | 2005/01/13

tsunami fears

Dear CS

I am in a weird situation ... after the tsunami disaster (which I was thousands of miles away from!!!), I have this intense fear that (I live in Durban) we are gonna experience some similar disaster. Logically, I know I am being somewhat irrational, but deep inside, I am truly afraid. And I just WON"T go to the bach at all. Having dreamt in the past that Durban was hit by tsunamis makes my fear even worse.

Also, had my life no taken a different turn a year ago, I could have been in Sri Lanka this past December ... this almost haunts me.

I have a theory, and I was wondering what you think of it ...
During last year I went through a very emotionally challenging experience. I have had to keep this experience to myself, and could not share or speak to anyone about it due to the nature of the situation. The point is that it was extremely emotionally exhausting, but on the outside I had to behave as normal for my family, friends and colleagues.

Is it possible that my mind has chosen this disaster to 'piggy-back' on in an attempt to release some of that emotional stress?

Or am I just totally insane :)

Sounds, as you suggest, that you have been emotionally challenged during this last year, feeling at risk of being overwhelmed by circumstances, and have attached the image and concpt of tsunami to this, fearing that it might occur in that external ( though extremely improbable, given SA's low risk of earthquake) form, rather than directly facing and dealing with the more realistic fears about problems in your life. Your theory makes a lot of sense ( NOT the one about going totally insane !) and seeing a shrink for assessment and counselling could help a lot, to conquer both the unrealistic and realistic concerns.

2
Posted by: slr | 2005/01/13

according to scientists, our country will have severe water problems in 20 yrs time. There will not be enough water for everyone.

Dying of thirst is a more realistic problem than a tsunami.....and severe water restrictions will be hitting us all from 2020 onwards.

Tsunamis are freakish rare events. Ain't gonna happen.

Rather channel your fears into something positive, and start caring about the ozone layer, and other things, to improve the greenhouse effect and pending water situation that is SURELY going to happen.

Reply to slr
Posted by: P | 2005/01/13

Afgesien van jou eie unieke omstamdighede dink ek dis menslik dat almal van ons wat by die see bly, versigtig en met nuwe oe daarna staar en dink...

Reply to P