Posted by: lizzy | 2008/06/09

TSH and T4 - and pregnancy

Hi, It's been 6 months now since I had my radio active iodine treatment. About 4 weeks back my thyroid was under active after taking Eltroxin 0.05mg. I had it tested today and currently my TSH is 0.02 and my T4 is 24.4 after taking 0.15mg of Eltroxin. We want to start trying to conceive a baby, the docter told me to drop the dose to 0.1mg Eltroxin. Is this ok? 24.4 doesn't sound THAT high to me. It was 56 before, that is when I had to take the radio active iodine. Can we keep the dose of Eltroxin to 0.15mg, is 24.4 really that high? The "kern geneeskunde" people told me that they normally tell people to wait at least six months to get pregnant, but four month is fine. But even after six months my thyroid is still not sorted out. And my invetro specialist said that my thyroid will change anyway after falling pregnant, so it doesn't help if I stabilise it now, since it will go up or down anyway.

Dear Lizzy
I would suggest that you drop the Eltroxin to 0.1mg and reassess your thyroid function test and see if that will stabilize your hormones. Having said that, 24.4 is not very high and I agree with you. The fact that your thyroid is still not fully sorted out is that radio active iodine treatment does not mean that it will stabilize it , it just destroys highly active thyroid tissue and because it has destroyed thyroid tissue you will then therefore need to be supplemented with thyroid hormones. You may in fact require thyroid hormones forever.

Posted by: Elmarie | 2008/08/06

My TSH is 0.01 and my T4 is 35. I am on neomercazole treatment but Can not seem to stabilize my thyroid. It is then up then down depends on the amount of tablets I take. I had my daughter 16 months ago and developed thyroditis. My docter said that I have no other choice but to take the radio active iodine to distroy my thyroid and he would then help me to stabilize my thyroid with the Eltroxin. My worry is that after taking the radioactive iodine that I would not fall pregnant again and would like a second child. Is this possible that the radio active iodine would effect my fertillity? And secondly what is my changes of developing a goiter while taking the Eltroxin?

Reply to Elmarie