Question
Posted by: damion | 2005/06/25

Trying to understand genetics

Hi there, im trying to makes sence of the whole genetic transfer between parent and child.
I have a son of 4 years old who is the splitting image of me, but i feel a much better image of me, he has none of his mothers looks, only his skin colour is fair like his mother. I can't understand howcome he recieved so much of my features andno his mothers.
I mean he is so similar looking to me, that he even has my eyelashes and ears, even fingers. It seems even the smallest possible feature is similar.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Damion

Children get 50% of their genetic material from their mother and the other half from their father. The features that you can see may appear to be mostly inherited from you but things are more complex than that since exchange of chromosomal material occurs at random when a new foetus is formed.

Regards, Maritha