Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2004/11/08

Trying to lose weight

Dear Diet Doc

I’ve been trying to lose 3 kg for the last few months and my weight just stays the same. I eat three healthy meals a day (little fat and hardly any meat) and fruit & yoghurt for snacks, only drink rooibos tea with fat free milk and no sugar, walk 5 km’s 3 – 4 times a week and drink 8 – 10 glasses of water a day (tea etc excluded). I weigh 61 kg and my height is 1.68 m. I’m desperate to loose the 3 kg and don’t know what I’m doing wrong!

Dear Desperate
Seeing that your BMI = 21,6, which is ideal for your height, your body weight is already totally normal and I think your body is resisting losing more. It is really not necessary to lose more weight, as a BMI of 20,6 would be tending towards the low end of the normal range. I would suggest that you just maintain your diet and exercise and stop stressing as stress hormones can also hamper weight loss. If you do lose additional weight this will be a very gradual process, so give your body a chance. Excessive water intake (more than 3-4 cups a day) over and above your normal liquid intake can wash important minerals out of your body (calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium) which can cause electrolyte imbalances which will in turn result in weight fluctuations. So be careful that you don't disturb your electrolyte balance by drinking too much water. Moderation is the key to good health.
Take care

3
Posted by: Shazz | 2004/11/08

Dont snack at all. Only eat 3 meals a day, drink lots of fluids and go for walks. Its becomes a habit after a while. I have lost about 5kgs and slowly getting to where I want to be.

Reply to Shazz
Posted by: cj | 2004/11/08

Same problem!!! I KEEP GETTING FATTER! I eat healthily and in small quantites. I very seldom use oil while cooking, and if I do its always olive oil. I always grill or steam my veggies and meat. I eat lots of vegetables and drink plenty of water. I do aerobics twice a week. Occasionally I might have a small chocolate/biscuit but definately not everyday. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!! I desperately need to lose weight as I am feeling more and more embarrassed of my body!

Reply to cj
Posted by: Yellow | 2004/11/08

I have the exact same situation (1.68m, 61kg) and also want to loose about 2kg. Very active and eat healthy.Hope DD will be able to assist.

Reply to Yellow