Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2005/11/22

Trying to loose weight while trying to conceive

Dear Doc and Ladies

I've been trying to conceive for more than 8 years. I've been overweight since I was born. I've always been confident and conformable with my weight, until I've realised that it will never be easy for me to get pregnant with my weight. A Doctor told me that four years back, but I thought the Doc was crazy, as there are lot of woman who are over weight but don’t struggle with falling pregnant. Recently I've been diagnosed with PCOS, because of that I started to exercise every second day, drink a lot of water and I try to eat healthy, my problem is two months know and I haven’t lost weight, and because of that I am thinking of taking fat attack. So my question is will it be safe for me to take the fat attack while trying to get pregnant? My weight is at 115, Body Fat is 45, my Length is 1,5 and myself and hubby we’ve been to fertility specialist and did all test, and we are both fine except the PCOS issue.

Dear Reggy

It is important to realise that not all obese patients suffer from PCO and not all obese patients have fertility problems. I would recommend a thorough investigation in respect of insulin resistance and the tendency towards a diabetogenic state. Should this be the case, ie, your insulin resistance is high, then the use of insulin sensitising agents such as METFORMIN or GLUCOPHAGE should be tried and this would in addition assist you in losing weight as well as in conceiving.

I would certainly not advocate the use of medication or agents such as FAT ATTACK whilst trying to conceive as there is not sufficient clinical trials to prove the benefits of such medication.

It is sometimes possible to over-ride the obesity factor by the use of ovulation induction agents and some form of assisted reproductive techniques. However, this needs to be done under the supervision of experienced clinicians in the field of fertility and I would recommend consulting wih a fertility specialist.