Question
Posted by: Mary | 2007/12/01

Trying to loose weight

I am desperately trying to loose weight I go to gym about 4 times per week and do 40minutes cardio. I try and eat correctly..my diet consists out of fruit, salad, nuts and ostrich biltong. I have been doing this for the past 3 weeks and havent dropped one kilogram! Could it be because I have a underactive thyroid gland? Or what am I doing wrong? I weigh 67kg at the moment and used to weigh 58kg. Please help!

mary

Dear Mary
I trust that you underactive thyroid is being treated?? If not, please ask your gp to prescribe the appropriate hormone therapy such as Eltroxin. Keep in mind that it takes up to 3 months for this type of treatment to be effective. The diet you describe is neither balanced not as low in fat as it should be because of the inclusion of the nuts and the biltong. Try eating a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and combine it with your cardio exercises. By reducing your fat intake you should achieve weight loss.
Keep up the good work with the exercises.