Question
Posted by: Blair | 2008/07/20

Trying to get pregnant for the first tim

I am a healthy 24 year old woman who is trying to get pregnant for th efirst time,i do not know when do i exactly ovulate,i have been trying for a while,but how do i tell from my cycle.

Dear Blair

Ovulation usually occurs 14 days prior to menstruation and in a normal 28 day cycle would occur midway i.e. day 14 of the cycle. However, there are inter cycle fluctuations and therefore ovulation may occur anytime between day 12 and day 16 of a 28-day cycle. Since the ovulated egg only has a conception window of 24 hours, this may pose a problem even to regularly ovulating women. My advice is to therefore use ovulation-monitoring kits, which are commercially available and are fairly accurate as predictors of ovulation and will certainly enhance your chance of conception if all factors are normal.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: p | 2008/07/21

Hi Blair

I know i am ovulating when i have like a mucousy clear discharge. My breasts also become a little sore, may even have a little lower back pain. This is just me, but i am sure it must be similar for everyone. Hope this helps!

Reply to p